Local movement Halton Gives is gearing up to inspire and engage everyone in the spirit of kindness on GivingTuesday, set for Nov. 28.
The concept for the day, originating in 2012, is a simple yet powerful idea to encourage acts of goodwill. Over the past decade, it has burgeoned into a global phenomenon, touching the lives of millions of people worldwide and fostering a culture of generosity and collaboration.
In Canada, it was founded in 2013 by CanadaHelps.org, GIV3, and other founding partners, now boasting active movements in over 80 countries. The mission remains consistent - to foster a world where giving is an integral part of everyday life.
On Nov. 28, Halton Region invites individuals and organizations to join the global movement and contribute to creating a positive impact. Whether through the donation of time, skills, resources or goods, the day serves as a reminder to share with those in need and strengthen our communities
"Every act of kindness and generosity, no matter how small, holds the power to make a significant difference," said Halton Gives chair Kristen Curry. "GivingTuesday unites our community, igniting the spirit of giving, and together, we can create a lasting impact."
Here are some suggested ways to get involved:
Individuals and families:
- Show your support. Volunteer or host a fundraising event for an organization you care about. Raise awareness for them on social media.
- Donate to Halton Gives partner or other local organization.
- Organize a neighbourhood clean-up.
- Check in on a neighbour: have a coffee, deliver baked goods, or a warm meal.
Charities and non-profits:
- Become a Halton Gives Partner.
- Use GivingTuesday to kick-off your holiday or year-end campaign.
- Share your need and impact through storytelling.
- Hold a fundraising event or campaign.
- Thank your volunteers and donors.
Businesses, schools and other community organizations:
- Become a Halton Gives Partner or create an initiative to support a partner.
- Reach out to a local charity and offer to match customer donations.
- Run a food, clothing, or toy drive with your employees and/or customers.
Don't forget to tell Halton Gives how you plan to spend the day and share some photos.Tag @HaltonGives and join the conversation using #HaltonGives.
Halton Gives says it's proud to have the unwavering endorsement of every city and town within the Region, along with their respective mayors. Each mayor has officially declared Nov. 28 as GivingTuesday, and the related flag will be raised in each municipality as a symbol of solidarity.
In Halton Hills, the flag will be raised Nov. 28 at 1 p.m. at Town Hall.