Skip to content

GEORGETOWN RAIDERS NEWS: A tie on home ice in double OT

The local team also suffered a loss to Milton in a close game on Friday
Gabriel Ciarallo of the Georgetown Raiders skates with the puck during the third period at the Eddie Bush Memorial Arena in December.

Here’s what you need to know about the weekend that was for your Georgetown Raiders. Happy Monday, Georgetown.

Friday, Jan. 26, the Raiders travelled to Milton for a face-off with the rival Menace. As I wrote about last week, not only was this a rivalry game, but this was a great opportunity for Georgetown to prove they can hang around with teams ahead in the standings.

The Menace took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission and doubled the lead early in the second frame before Gabe Ciarallo got the Raiders on the board with his 10th goal of the season; a power play tally.

The score would remain 2-1 for the opponent until almost halfway through the third period, where Milton took a 3-1 lead. However, the Raiders showed a lot of fight to come back in this game, with John Mitchell scoring his first as a Raider at the 12-minute mark in the third.

The Raiders kept pushing for an equalizer goal, but unfortunately could not find the back of the net. Milton added a fourth goal via an empty net, and that’s where this game would end.

A note for the entire game should be the number of power play opportunities that Milton had, at 12 – not ideal. The Raiders still had seven chances on the power play, but any time the opponent has double-digit chances in this category, it's not a fantastic outcome.

For Georgetown, although it ended in a loss, it felt like the Raiders kept pace with Milton and even outplayed them for a portion of the game. It came down to a few mistakes that Milton capitalized on, which is the mark of a good squad. It was a close game and one that Georgetown can learn from going forward. Important to take a positive from a loss when you are able to for the Raiders.

The next evening, the Raiders returned home to face the Leamington Flyers for North Halton Twisters Night, presented by Canadian Tire.

The Raiders wanted revenge from the night previous. Leamington jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead inside the first half of the first period.

However, the Raiders mounted an impressive comeback in the second period, scoring three unanswered goals to take a 3-2 lead into the third. Raiders goal scorers were Teddy Puccini, Carson Lloyd, and Colin Maund.

Unfortunately, Leamington scored a power play goal at the 3:38 mark of the third to tie things up. 3-3 is where this contest would stay through 60 minutes, albeit with both teams fighting for another score and having many opportunities to take a new lead.

The first overtime and second overtime periods would solve nothing except to continue the spirited back-and-forth pace, and 3-3 is where we ended the night. The result provided Georgetown with their first tie of the season, and secured one point for the effort.

The Raiders now sit in a tie for fifth in the West conference with the Oakville Blades at 47 points apiece. Ahead in fourth, the Buffalo Jr. Sabres have 53 points.

Georgetown has three games this upcoming week. Our last game in January is a home game at Alcott Arena on the 31st at 7:30 p.m. vs. the Halliburton County Huskies.

Feb. 2, the Raiders will travel to the Gale Centre in Niagara for a battle with the Canucks at 7 p.m. The next night, the Raiders return to Alcott Arena in Georgetown for a 5:30 p.m. affair with the Mississauga Chargers.

Thank you for your continued support, Raider Nation!

Catch all Raiders games live on